Wednesday, April 2, 2014

ODIN HANGS FOR RUNES

ODIN HANGS FOR RUNES

I hang for poems
problem - I don't have a yggdrasil tree
in my backyard, it is a wych elm
with scaly bark and a lot of dead branches

Still, I hang for poems
a rope looped around one ankle
on a low bough so that I can touch
the ground with my fingertips

Odin hung upside down in the tree
to receive the Norse alphabet from the Gods
Eihwaz is our S
Ansuz F
GeboX
Nauthiz T
Ehwaz M
Berkana B
Isa I
Thurisaz P
Raido R
Hagalaz H

I am only here a few minutes
my head begins to fill with pressure
lips feel puffy
eyes wanting to bulge
but I'm stuck
can't reach the rope
can only scratch the ground
and scream and yell for help

My neighbor comes quickly
A tall skinny teen still carrying his electronic tablet
easily reaches the loop and releases me
in a heap on the dry dirt
and I whimper my thanks over
and over

What were you thinking, he asks
Poetry,  I croak
Ain't there an easier way, he asks
Probably, I say
Need me to help you in, he asks
No, I'm on all fours now

Trying to stand, No I say
but he's already gone
Back to the couch
I limp to the computer and begin this poem

Carolyn Hull
4/2/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment